Race outlook: The sun is shining! It should be nice & pretty warm. Not the water though, which, apparently, is in the low/mid-50s out toward the middle of the lake. The wind is going to be a big factor on the bike today, too. It's howling, and it gets gnarlier as the day goes on. Thankfully, unlike past years at this race, looks like no rain. But there have been a couple random storms since we've arrived, so who knows.
My race strategy: Have fun. I no longer see this as an A race due to the knee/ITB issues, so I'm excited to experience the course, push myself and keep a smile.
On that note, given my knee/IT Band injury, my final race plan: I'm putting my Zoot shoes in T2, along with all my other run gear. I'll decide if I'm running once I get there. I don't know what to expect. Sara and I rode on Thursday, and there was some knee pain. So, in my crazy logic, it comes down to this: I don't want to make things worse, so I won't run if the pain is really bad. But if it's bearable, I'll see how far I can make it through the 13.1 miles. However, I will not walk/shuffle through a half-marathon today just to avoid a DNF. If I can't run, I'll pull out. All that may sound psycho, but I at least want to give this race a chance. What if everything felt good coming off the bike and I didn't have my shoes because I decided to play it safe? I would hate that.
Whatever happens today, I couldn't be more stoked on this trip. I'm happy I came even if my race is poop. It's been A BLAST so far. I've never traveled to a race with one of my best girlfriends (usually it's the parents or solo), and I am loving my Idaho vacation with Sara! The laughing is nonstop, as are the little adventures and crazy scenarios we're getting ourselves into. Idaho is a gorgeous place, I love it even more than I thought I would. I guess staying in a nice house on multiple acres in the countryside may have that effect.
Expect some good stories/photos when I get home :)